My Pre-Professional Experience

Pharmacy is basically a profession that is based on bridging the gap between outsiders not in the field and the technical terms that experts use in the field itself. Therefore, entering this field as a student, I feel really welcome when it comes to getting accustomed to the cultural, organization, and technical savvy that any profession has. When I volunteered at the pharmacy at the Beth Israel Medical Center two years ago, I wasn't kept out of any secrets that the organization had. I performed tasks any professional pharmacy assistants (technicians) did, and I gained the "real world experience" that all students crave for when we're still in school. I learned about a huge variety of things, such as how a hospital pharmacy is run and what particular responsibilities pharmacists have, in addition to the usual ensuring of the safety of the interaction of drugs. When I worked in a community pharmacy, my job was to provide the link between the complicated medical world and just regular English. 
An outsider would simply need to have passion to help patients and to break that "outsider" barrier.  Even though not all pharmacists share the passion of their profession (it gets tedious after a while), they all do share the passion of helping others.  Moreover, there really isn't any culture or organizational savvy that separates this department from all the rest, just six years of a school like STJ would fit anyone into the practice of pharmacy.




No comments:

Post a Comment